Monday, January 19, 2009

Dollar Store Entertainment

How have I been entertaining the little ones while we are away from home and don't have our usual books, toys and craft supplies around? Well, one strategy has been using a lot of little treasures from the dollar bin at Target as "go to" entertainment. I've been keeping a stash and when I get desperate, I pull something out of the stash. And when we're done with it...back into the stash. He might be very happy and excited to play with it again if he doesn't see it for a week. Here are some of our finds...

A 6 pack of (off brand) play dough (Michael's dollar bin)
Incredibles pad of paper
Fuzzy poster and markers
Rubiks Cube like toy
Cardboard Puzzles (ABC and shapes)
Valentine's Stickers and Paper
Self inking stampers

Today we spent a long time putting all the puzzle pieces from a cardboard alphabet puzzle into some glad wear with a hole cut in the top (piggy bank style) - glad wear surgery performed (badly) by me and some kitchen scissors. Matthew really loved it. Also trash now becomes treasure. This empty cardboard box is now something for you to draw on, sit in, stand on, take toys in and out of etc. And, of course, any activity goes much farther if I sit down and do it with him.

I'm planning to go to the local dollar store here in Alabama when my supply of goodies runs out. I'm sure I can find a few new things to provide some entertainment. At least I hope so.

No comments: