Sun: unstructured/plan activities for the week
Mon: library (check out books on our weekly theme), at home story time, BIG muscle play at home
Tues: park, learning activity, crafts
Wed: walk or outside play, learning activity, music
Thurs: park, learning activity, crafts
Fri: playgroup, learning activity, cooking
Sat: unstructured or family outing/plan next week activities
Each weekday I want to do some "big muscle" play activity, usually as an outing, and two indoor activities, one more learning oriented, one just for fun.
Library and Story Time: Our libraries here don't do story time for toddlers, well, one of them does but you have to register for it every month, they only allow like 20 people and I've heard its competitive to get into. You register two weeks in advance of the month. This I hate. So I decided just to do "story time" at home. We read stories every day, but I thought once a week we can take a trip to the library, get books that go along with our special theme (if we can) and then when we get home we can spread out blankets and pillows and read some stories, library story time style, and maybe have a special treat.
Learning time is going to be real low key, like "this is the letter A, lets color it and stick an apple sticker on it." No Time for Flash Cards has some cute ABC activities that I will probably try to do, or at least use her ideas as a guide.
Big Muscle Play is going to include trips to the park or indoor play place, playgroup, or at home big muscle play (banging on pots and pans, at home dance party, songs with active movements or hand gestures, or different games and activities that work big muscles.
Crafts and Art Projects are going to be real simple toddler crafts and activities to go along with or help us learn about the theme for the week.
Cooking: I like cooking with Matthew 'cause there are a lot of good opportunities for learning and fun there. He can pour, crumble, stir and dump, learn about measuring, food...stuff like that. It does make a mess sometimes, but I'm ok with that. I've decided to just aim for once a week with that, 'cause otherwise I'm afraid I'd end up with way too many sweet treats. Mental note: I need to start making healthier snacks when we do our cooking time.
Music: We sing songs all the time, but I thought having a more structured music time once in a while would be fun - using instruments, or different fun things to do for the songs...this is not a fully formed idea as you can see.
So this is my plan. It sounds like a lot, but our little activities take no time at all...like 5-15 minutes. They have a short attention span at this age (currently 21 months). So it should be pretty doable. And, of course, my 4 month old can also be included and benefit from story time, music time, outings and with a little extra attention, crafts and art time.
Library and Story Time: Our libraries here don't do story time for toddlers, well, one of them does but you have to register for it every month, they only allow like 20 people and I've heard its competitive to get into. You register two weeks in advance of the month. This I hate. So I decided just to do "story time" at home. We read stories every day, but I thought once a week we can take a trip to the library, get books that go along with our special theme (if we can) and then when we get home we can spread out blankets and pillows and read some stories, library story time style, and maybe have a special treat.
Learning time is going to be real low key, like "this is the letter A, lets color it and stick an apple sticker on it." No Time for Flash Cards has some cute ABC activities that I will probably try to do, or at least use her ideas as a guide.
Big Muscle Play is going to include trips to the park or indoor play place, playgroup, or at home big muscle play (banging on pots and pans, at home dance party, songs with active movements or hand gestures, or different games and activities that work big muscles.
Crafts and Art Projects are going to be real simple toddler crafts and activities to go along with or help us learn about the theme for the week.
Cooking: I like cooking with Matthew 'cause there are a lot of good opportunities for learning and fun there. He can pour, crumble, stir and dump, learn about measuring, food...stuff like that. It does make a mess sometimes, but I'm ok with that. I've decided to just aim for once a week with that, 'cause otherwise I'm afraid I'd end up with way too many sweet treats. Mental note: I need to start making healthier snacks when we do our cooking time.
Music: We sing songs all the time, but I thought having a more structured music time once in a while would be fun - using instruments, or different fun things to do for the songs...this is not a fully formed idea as you can see.
So this is my plan. It sounds like a lot, but our little activities take no time at all...like 5-15 minutes. They have a short attention span at this age (currently 21 months). So it should be pretty doable. And, of course, my 4 month old can also be included and benefit from story time, music time, outings and with a little extra attention, crafts and art time.
No comments:
Post a Comment